Monday, November 21, 2011

New 35 point Rahn theme list


I have been putting some thoughts toward my Rahn theme force I currently have, and finding some flaws I think will take some minor adjustments to fix. This is all theory at this time, as I need to play a game to see exactly how it plays out before jumping to conclusions.

My current force is:
  • Rahn
  • Phoenix
  • Discordia
  • House Shyeel Battle Mages
  • Full Houseguard Halberdiers w/ UA
  • Arcanist
  • Arcanist
  • Magister
  • Magister
  • Magister

My first issue is the sever lack of units that can take advantage of Rahn's feat. Right now I am running only a single unit of Battle Mages and three Magisters. While Rahn's feat is nice, it certainly isn't a promised hit, let alone a kill. Cryx are freakishly wily and I found I had a hard time pegging them with magic to really hurt when Rahn  was alone. Things will only get worse as more units are added to my wife's force. I am thinking about adding at least another unit of battle mages to the pack.

The next problem I have is Discordia. Discordia is an excellent jack in the couple times I used her, but she costs as much as a Phoenix, and at 35 points and less, that's a large chunk of points. Going to proxy in a Manticore for a couple games and see if I notice a difference to validate keeping Discordia or going Manticore full on until 50+ points.

The Halberdiers are another force I love the looks of, but it is rather expensive for a screening force. This is made even worse by the fact my wife is going to be using Raiders which ignore the Shield Wall rule anyhow. I need these guys to be a speed bump, not to be the main fighting force, so am thinking about bringing this down to the minimum squad but keeping the UA for that little bit of extra mobility and burst.

The last thing is the Arcanist. I just have not had good luck with them to validate having two on the field. I understand their purpose, but making them perform that purpose is becoming increasingly tedious. I am going to keep two, as I know they can't be everywhere at once for the warjacks. It's simply a lack of understanding on my part on how to play this miniature well, but right now I'm still lost on why they are rated so highly.

As such I am looking to modify my force to be more along the lines of:

  • Rahn
  • Phoenix
  • Manticore
  • House Shyeel Battle Mages
  • House Shyeel Battle Mages
  • Min Houseguard Halberdiers w/ UA
  • Arcanist
  • Arcanist
  • Magister
  • Magister
  • Magister
It seems more 'theme' then before and gives me more potential for Rahn's feat turn to have more BANG. have to admit, I wish I could use the House Shyeel Artificer from Wrath in the theme force, as it would certainly be a nice model, but alas it isn't included for the theme.

Thoughts and opinions are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...