Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Kings of War - Elven Army



One way I can always tell that I am an old school High Elf player is how I build my force. For example, take a look at my 1500 Kings of War Elven army list.


Solid Units (870pts)

  • Bowmen Regiment (160pts)
    Bow
  • Bowmen Regiment (160pts)
    Bow
  • Palace Guard Regiment (145pts)
    banner, musician
  • Spearmen Regiment (135pts)
    banner, musician
  • Spearmen Regiment (135pts)
    banner, musician
  • Spearmen Regiment (135pts)
    banner, musician

Units (210pts)

  • Scout Troop (90pts)
  • Stormwind Cavalry Troop (120pts)
    banner, musician

War Engines (150pts)

  • Bolt Thrower (75pts)
  • Bolt Thrower (75pts)

Heroes/ Monsters (270pts)

  • Army Standard Bearer (30pts)
  • King (120pts)
  • Mage (120pts)


One thing I almost always had in my WFB High Elf force,  which carriers over almost out of instinct to KoW is the three units of spearmen, two archers, one 'truly elite' unit (Swordmasters, Phoenix Guard, ect), and two bolt throwers. Too me, this just seems 'right' for the High Elven core on a number of levels

I am not one of those people that like large units for the Elves. It is fine for greenskins, rats, ect (oldschool WFB mindset coming out again). I also like having lots of core units with a few supporting units,as it just seems more imposing having the entire deployment zone used rather then part of the deployment zone used for few but larger hordes.

I am still not 100% sure if I am going to build this force though, I have a large part of the force already and it is official (something my reptileman force wasn't). However, I find myself tinkering with the idea of a new Heavy Gear Blitz force just as often.

Maybe I'll do both, who knows.

The Kings of War ruleset is better then Warhammer on a number of levels to me, as it allows far more customizations in army and miniature building then WFB does. I do enjoy the game, but what I find interesting to myself isn't the size of the minis that turns me off most but the size of the table. HGB and WarmaHordes I can play on a 4x4 table without issue while the average, while an average sized game of KoW/WFB/40K ect require at least 6x4. The extra two feet really make a huge difference when it comes to setting the table up to play on.

I'll start putting together the Elves I currently have and see if I really get the itch to play and keep playing (which is far more important). No reason to go all out for KoW if I am only going to play 2-3 games then not touch it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...