Saturday, December 1, 2012

The Hype of Something New

Today my nearly 5 pounds of RSN fleet arrived on my doorstep (I'll get around to doing reviews of them as I get to it), but the best part of opening the box for me was unwrapping the new Firestorm Armada V2 rulebook.

It may sound strange, but one of the major things I enjoy about the wargaming hobby is reading the rules and how a particular company tried to make itself stand out from the other companies out there. I actually enjoy reading through rulebooks and looking at the various studio armies shown in the books.

Even if I don't play a game any longer, I find it hard to get rid of the rulebooks because I always seem to find something I missed earlier. Could be a rule that slid under my radar, an interesting piece of terrain, or a paint job that strikes my fancy. I still have the 4th edition Warhammer 40K rulebook for this exact reason, some of the terrain ideas could still work for Heavy Gear Blitz, Infinity, or a wide variety of other games (40K wasn't as GRIMDARK as it is now days).

Miniatures are great, nothing like holding a well sculpted work of art in your hands fresh out of the package, but at the end of the day, it is the rulebooks that keep me hyped for a game. If the book is good, fluff is well placed, and the art actually makes me want to look at it, then I will spend hours upon hours going over that book. Already I was going through the V2 rulebook and found a space station I hadn't seen before. It looks amazing, and my interesting is piqued in regards to how it was constructed. Looks better than my idea of just using the Battlefleet Gothic Blackstone Fortress (although the Orbital Dock looks good too).

So the obvious question to the public then; Do any other folks get more hyped about the prospect of reading new rules over the idea of new miniatures?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...